Friday, August 04, 2006

New WiFi virus?

Yesterday I was at a conference and pulled out my laptop to see if the building had any free wireless available. There was one, with an SSID of "Free public wifi" I tried to connect, then noticed that it was a peer-to peer wireless network. I thought that was odd...and it didn't work anyway. I closed my laptop and forgot about it. Then tonight, my girlfriend and I are both on the couch using our laptops with my wireless router and low and behold, the SSID "Free Public wifi" shows up again on both of our machines, with a very strong signal. This made me a bit concerned. It was the same SSID I had seen earlier, and was (on both machines) a peer-to-peer connection type. My machine automatically connected (for some reason my router dropped its connection at this time) to the "free public wifi". I disconnected it and after getting my router back up and running, did some research. Turns out there are a few other people who have noticed this same phenomenon. Also today, this story came out. Odd coincidence, or are we about to see a wildfire of wifi viruses?

Is this a new virus that's infecting machines via wireless connections? If so, this might be ugly. Let me know if you've seen anything like this, or if you know what this is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just travelling (for several days, but that's a different story) and picked that SSID up in Laguardia airport in New York. I thought it was maybe the airports' wifi, but I noticed it was p2p right away and disabled my network card. Too late apparently, as now anywhere I go, I show that AP. Not sure what this is, but I am more than a little frightened about what this might mean. I did NOTHING besides try to connect. Wifi users BEWARE, at least until whatever this is is vetted out.