Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I Hear Whispers of The Polling Crisis

A story in the Associated Press today says that 2007 is likely to be the first year where Americans spent more money on cell phone bills than land line phones. A quote from the article:

"What we're finding is there's a huge move of people giving up their land line service altogether and using cell phones exclusively," said Allyn Hall, consumer research director for market research firm In-Stat.
Yup. I'm one of those people. I know many others. And no one with just a cell phone is being polled. As I mentioned earlier in December, telephone polling, which is pretty much the basis of all the polls you hear or read about, is seriously broken. How will it be fixed? Without a change in federal law allowing pollsters to call cell phones, it's uncertain. What is certain, there will be a shock in 2008 when the mainstream media realizes their polling tools are worthless. To be sure, the biggest gainer in this debacle will be Ron Paul. Whether or not the error is significant enough to win the presidency, I'm not willing to say. But I will say that it will be big enough to make the pollsters worry about their job security.

I can't wait until those "same 10 Ron Paul spammers (i.e. supporters)" spam the voting booths.

No comments: